Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Bookcase Update

I love power tools.  I would say I love power tools as much as most girls love shoes.  There's something about the smell of sawdust in the morning that just gets me every time. Maybe it's odd, but I find it empowering and fulfilling to build something with my hands. To take raw materials and mold and shape them into something new and beautiful. While I may sit in front of a computer all day designing with a mouse, my real passion is to be in a wood shop constructing real, solid things.

I just really get a craving to make things sometimes. It's kind of like that craving for Chick-fil-a or Chipotle.  Once those hit, you're stuck. You either satisfy the craving or nothing else will taste as good. But when the need to get to creating hits hard, that unfortunately also sometimes means that my wallet will get hit equally as hard unless I'm not careful. Husbandman knows me too well at this point and has kindly set budgets on my crafting sprees. (Smart man, that Tobin. Sigh.)

Last weekend, I got the urge. My fingers were itching to try out our new power tools (HOORAY!) To keep cost down, I opted for a simple pick-me-up of our boring laminate bookcase we got from target forever ago. You know the one. We've all seen it. Just plain-jane getting the job done bookcase with mediocre quality and a cardboard backing.

I just went with a simple update of replacing the dark cardboard backing with some wainscoting and a coat of paint.

After a little trip to Lowes, ripping the wood to size with my circular saw, and a coat of blue-green paint (left over from our last house) later, it turned into this:


It's so much brighter in the shelves now, and ads a subtle hint of color. I might ad trim to the bookcase later for a little more sophistication, and I'm still working on how to arrange the shelf space, but for now I'm pleased.

Total cost: $20 for wainscoting.  It would have been less had there been a smaller piece, but now I have leftovers for more projects... muahaha!

1 comment:

  1. That looks great! Also, that paint color seems to do no wrong..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...