Thursday, January 24, 2013

Coconut Berry Smoothie Recipe

Coconut Berry Smoothie Recipe - The New Tobins

Usually I'm pretty low-fuss for breakfast... when I eat it.  I know breakfast is important, but most days I'm not hungry when I wake up, or too lazy to make anything. At best, I'll venture to make an egg or 2 real fast and feel proud.

I have a dear friend who I know that wakes up every morning and makes herself a smoothie to take to work. That always sounded good until the blender part. I have no room on my counter for it to sit, so it always involved lugging it out of a closet.  It also may sound silly, but I pretty much love cleaning about as much as I like being mauled by a grizzly bear. The fruit always sticks to the sides and the blade threatens to slice my hand open at any moment. I had just decided it wasn't my thing.

This morning, I was feeling more adventurous. Still in pj's I wandered to the kitchen and absentmindedly looked int he fridge for an egg.  I then noticed my half a can of coconut milk that I hadn't used after making some coconut rice. While wondering what else I would use that for, I came up with an idea: maybe I was going to attempt a smoothie today. If it failed again, then fine. At least I had tried, right?

I managed to scrounge up some yummy items from the fridge, 90% of it I always have on hand anyways, and got to work, not expecting too much. The end result really surprised me!  It is now the most delicious smoothie I've ever had!  Not too sweet, no weird texture, just deliciousness in a glass.

Smoothie close-up - The New TobinsIt looks so pretty, too! Like confetti in a glass, and it's super healthy. I feel much more full and refreshed than my normal egg deal.

I may now have to rethink my aversion to blending. Plus, if you immediately rinse the blender off with warm water when you are done, it's way easier to clean later. No fruit particles stuck to the glass near the scary blade. Success!

Maybe I will try this more regularly. Anyone have any good smoothie ideas for me to try?


Coconut Berry Smoothie
Serves 1

1/2 can (roughly 6 oz) Coconut Milk
1/2 cup Organic Blueberries
1/2 of a Banana
2 Tbsp Organic Whole Milk Plain Yogurt
1 Tbsp Virgin Coconut Oil
6-8 ice cubes, depending on how you like it.

Toss all the ingredients in the blender and blend well until frothy. Pour into a glass and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...