Tuesday, December 2, 2014

An Overdue Update, Part 1: Big Decisions

Up until now, I have not had the time, words, or motivation to update since our beach trip in July. Shortly after that post, school began for Jon and our roommate Corey, work picked up in intensity for me, and I was traveling all over the place. For the sake of length, I'll break this up into smaller posts as a LOT has happened in the past 4 months.

While at the beach and finally relaxing, Jon and I got back from our runs and had the conversation. The big one: are we ready to start trying for a child? The answer for both of us was yes. Teary-eyed, we hugged and laughed and enjoyed the rest of our relaxing beach trip. Yet in the back of my mind, I was preparing for a long haul before being able to get pregnant.

Since I first started going to the doctor, I've been told that it may be very difficult for me to conceive; that I should expect a grueling process with a possibility of intervention. For the sake of keeping this personal and PG-rated, I'll just say that I knew that there were issues beyond my control. I was hopeful, but not overly optimistic. Unsurprisingly, nothing happened for a while.

In the meantime, life moved on at neck-breaking speed. It seemed that our first big decision precipitated many more big decisions shortly after. Everything seemed to be happening at the same time, ready or not.

After some debate about how to proceed, Jon started the year at yet another new school. After budget cuts cost him his job last year, he began teaching 9th grade English at a brand new charter school called MLK Prep. They were taken over by the state and given to a charter, so the stakes are high and the pressure is on. He has been working between 70-80 hours a week. He is at school for 9 hours and then comes home to do all the grading, lesson planning, copying, creating worksheets and tests, as well as all the other administrative tasks. Those hours add up quickly. I know many people think teachers have it easy with the long breaks, but they usually work throughout the breaks. It's a grueling job, but Jon still loves teaching.



In other exciting news, we bought a motorcycle! My dad has always had a love of motors from when he was a little boy. I grew up with him always either tinkering in the garage on his motorcycles or out in the garden. This fascination is apparently contagious, because Jon caught it over time. When my dad mentioned that he was working on fixing up an old '78 Honda, Jon became very interested.

We now are the owners of a beautiful 1978 Honda CB550.



After we made the purchase, we joked around saying "wouldn't it be terrible if the car died now". We only had one car and opted for a motorcycle instead of a second car. It seemed the most economical choice and allowed me the opportunity to have a car during the day while Jon rode the motorcycle to school. But, as Murphy's Law would have it, Jon got into a car accident.

A young girl made a left in front of Jon without yielding at a very dangerous intersection. Jon slammed right into her. Our car was totaled, but thankfully, no one was hurt.

To make things more complicated, I was about to leave on a trip back home for 2 weeks without Jon.
The need to find a car was pressing, so the new car search began right away. After many days and miles of searching, we found the exact car we wanted at an unbeatable deal: a new 2014 Ford Focus hatchback with all the right accessories for the price of a used car. It just happened to still be in the factory in Michigan being constructed and was being shipped to Birmingham, Alabama. That's about 4 hours away from Memphis. It would not be ready for pick-up until after I had left town. Eek!



As I packed for my trip home, I became increasingly aware of the fact that Jon and I have never spent this much time apart. I knew I was going home for a work conference, but also to see family and friends that I so rarely get to see anymore. It only dawned on me two days before I left that I might just be pregnant this time, but would not be reliably able to test until I left. I began to get anxious.

Continued in update 2...

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...